Open audition notice for MR.RICKEY CALLS A MEETING by Ed Schmidt
Auditions will be held Mon & Tue, Dec 2 & 3, 2019, starting at 7:00 pm both nights.
Production dates: Jan 24-Feb 9, 2020
Directed by Rick Flynn
Produced by Deirdre Root
In a NYC hotel room, in the spring of 1947, Branch Rickey, owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, meets with four prominent African-Americans to discuss breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball. He wants support from their community to help with the controversy he knows will ensue. Jackie Robinson, Joe Louis, Paul Robeson, and Bill Robinson, aka Mr. Bojangles, attend the meeting, but it isn’t an easy fix. Concern about loss of jobs, as well as suspicion about Branch Rickey’s motives come into play. The 2012 revival was nominated for three Jeff Awards for Play Production, Direction, and Ensemble.
• Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
• A résumé and headshot are not required but are appreciated.
• Please provide a list of all known conflicts between Dec 4, 2019 and Feb 9, 2020.
- Clancy Hope – A bellboy, 17 (African American)
- Branch Rickey – General manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, 65 (Caucasian)
- Jackie Robinson – Second baseman for the Montreal Royals, 28 (African American)
- Joe Louis – Heavyweight Champion of the World, 32 (African American)
- Paul Robeson – Actor, Singer, Political Activist, 48 (African American)
- Bill “Bojangles” Robinson – Tap Dancer, 68 (African American)
NOTE: Ages are for reference, not a specific requirement
For more information please contact Rick Flynn at email@example.com
The show runs weekends Jan 24-Feb 9, 2020
First Weekend: Friday 8pm, Saturday 8pm, Sunday 3pm
Second & Third Weekend: Friday 8pm, Saturday 5pm, Sunday 3pm